Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Hey, I want to apologize about the last post...I was in a hurry and wasn't quite finished when I posted--so it probably didn't make much sense.
     But anyway, things are going great here!  Most of the kids came on Monday morning and the last two came today!  The kids are just wonderful--they are so precious and just love the attention--there is a beautiful 6 year old girl who will not leave my side.  Everywhere I go, she is holding my hand, sitting beside me, and will barely let me out of her sight.
     We currently have 12 kids, 6 years old being the youngest and 16 being the oldest.  There are only two hearing children who are here with their deaf siblings and there are several hard-of-hearing children as well, but they all can sign.
     I love signing with them and hanging out with them during the day.  My signing vocabulary has expanded drastically and my finger-spelling/signing is so much quicker.  The children sign ASL but they throw in some Spanish signs as well so at times, it makes it hard to understand them--I feel bad asking them to repeat stuff, but they're good sports and try to sign in English.
      At the end of the day, most of the children go home with their parents, but there are at least 6 who are staying with us at the school--some in the dorms and some in the apartments with their parents who are also deaf. 
     The days seem long as I typically don't get to sleep before 11:30pm and I'm up at 6:30am every morning.  We're getting used to the heat and while its still very hot here, it doesn't bother us like it did when we first arrived.
     Oh and I finally saw my first and only lizard!  A friend caught it for me and when he handed it to me, it ran up my arm and sat on my head for several minutes!  I also saw huge cockroaches that are about 2 inches long--eww!  And there is also grass here that closes up when you touch it!  I've never seen anything like it in my life!
     Thank you all for your prayers--It is very evident that we are being covered in prayer and we can "see" God in everything!  Our sick team member is feeling much better and no one else is feeling sick!  Yay!
    

No comments:

Post a Comment